Thursday, January 22, 2009

Some Quick Juice Fasting Info

Jenna asked for some info on Juice Fasting and I'm very happy to share! Unfortunately I need to be getting ready to leave, so I don't have time to go into much detail. I wrote down some stuff about preparing for a juice fast on Facebook. So here is that information:

Most of the sources I've read say that it's import to prepare for an extended fast (usually anything more than three days) by just sticking to raw fruits and vegetables right before the fast. If you can't do that it's a good idea to remove the obviously unhealthy foods from your diet such as cigarettes, alcohol, meat, caffeine, sugar, etc. I've read that this should be done before the extended fast for for an amount of time equal to the fast planned. It is supposed to make the fast much easier to bear by giving your body a head start on the detoxing of all this bad stuff.

But seriously. Who wants to wait that long? We're not Pro-Ana because we do everything the sensible way, right? I jumped right into a water fast which is much more intense than a juice fast. I did get headaches and felt pretty weak and drained of energy, but you just have to keep visualizing the end results. Most of us have been on a restricted diet anyway and we're young, so our bodies' detox process shouldn't be as bad as someone in their forties who eats tons of junk food and three thousand calories a day.

One thing that may be a struggle for some is giving up cigarettes, caffeine, alcohol. But if you continue to pollute your body with these things it will make the detoxification more difficult. I've read about people giving up all kinds of addictions through fasting, so maybe this is the time to try that.

Another thing. It isn't recommended that you take any sort of supplements during a fast. I know that sounds really odd, but that's what ever fasting article I've read has said, though I haven't really figured out the reasoning. I'll try to get more info on that.

Sweeteners are another no no. Juice is usually already sweet anyway, but if you're drinking tea you can use honey. This is the only animal product that should be consumed during a fast. Sugar is bad for obvious reasons, but artificial sweeteners are no good either. They are not healthy at all and are just something else for your body to have to clean up. No reason for that. I've heard of a natural no calorie sweetener called Stevia, but I don't know much about it. It's something to look into if you really feel you need some more sweet.

The most important thing to do to prepare is to get your mind in the right place. Set your goals, no matter what they are. Start small if you need to, you can always extend the goals once you get there. Focus on what you want to achieve. Thin! Think about that all the time. Think about that every time the idea of food pops into your head. Keep blogging, keep getting the support you need. And keep motivated yourself!

Now it's time to start starving!

I hope that is a helpful start, Jenna. And I can definitely provide more when I have more time to write. Oh, and the main reason just drinking calories is better than eating them, even if it it's the same amount, is that your body doesn't have to use digestive energy to absorb juice. Though, in order to do a really proper juice fast, you need to have a juicer. Fresh juice is so much healthier than bottled, but not all of us have that option. I just try to buy juice in it's purest form.

Tomorrow I'll post something on how to actually to a juice fast, beyond preparation. Fasting is really a great feeling. Thanks for the questions!

<3

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post! You've clearly done a lot of research on this.
    Thanks for the comment, it made me feel good. That's too bad that you don't have the means to continue with photography. My camera isn't that great but I try to make the best of it. It was my Mother's until I broke it and she gave it to me. Ha!
    And of course I don't mind if you stop in from time to time, I wouldn't write here if i didn't want someone to hear me.

    ReplyDelete